random mutterings of an individual trying to change the collective thought

Saturday, January 23, 2010

it's the simple things

on friday i again sat down with a tirade all planned out in my head. i was amazed at how easy it is for me to go off at some perceived annoyance while just thinking, then once sitting down thoughts seem to flit about, impossible to catch and string together coherently.

this got me thinking about the kind of thoughts i want to put out into the universe, i don't want my blog to be a series of moans about any old thing, i want them to make people think about their own behaviour and even perhaps change it. unfortunately that means i will be using many many disgusting cliches about fellow man. hopefully if presented correctly the cliche won't be so obvious and will actually help people to think.

on saturday morning i did an airport lift. on my way home on the highway one of the cars driving next to me held 2 guys eating soft serve and listening to music, they could have been brothers or friends, have been on their way home from a big night out or on a cross country road trip. whatever and where ever they were going seeing that glimpse of happiness being shared cheered me up for the rest of the day.

i got me thinking about life love and everything else (apparently i do a lot of thinking along these lines) life is hard and it sucks, for the most part that is. in the next paragraph i will be sounding mildly pompous, so feel free to skip it!

i believe that happiness is a choice and not always an easy one. when you feel like the sky is falling it's almost impossible to see any benefits to the situation. what you need to do is train yourself to identify benefits in the awful situations. and they are there just waiting to be found.

moments like that of those two boys sharing an ice cream happen every day, sometimes they happen to you and sometimes you witness them, what we need is more of those moments, only we can make ourselves happy. i read in a book recently about a couple who challenged each other to do one random act of kindness a day. on saturday i decided to make it my daily challenge too. it has been two days and already i am finding it hard, especially because i keep remembering to do something nice when i am annoyed. of course that means that i feel that much more smug about what i have done and my mood evaporates.

i am also going to keep my eye out for the simple things around me, instead of looking for the things that piss me off, the big ones will always be there and i will blog about them, i am going to look for the nice things that we do for each other.

so as an online act of kindness i am going to leave you with this youtube video that cracks me up every time i see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-QNAwUdHUQ (in case it doesn't work, search 'the front fell off' on youtube)

happy monday!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the kindness, I love different views on life as I explore the journey I find myself on.

    Wishing you all the best.

    www.gayoncemeanthappy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete